Aristotle said, “Quality is not an act, it is a habit”. What we can interpret is that quality cannot be a response to a certain situation or something that is faked or postured. Rather quality should be part of a routine; the acts we do on a continuous basis and which should be a reflection of the essential nature of work.
Here in this blog, Moin Syed, Associate Director – Advisory & Transformation Services at Cigniti Inc. gives an overview of DevOps, tips for successful DevOps testing and recommendations about testing tools.
What is DevOps
DevOps is a culture that enables seamless coordination among the different stakeholders in the software chain. DevOps brings together the two critical silos of software process namely, development & operations to integrate within the same software cycle.
As we know DevOps aims to break the barriers between Dev and Ops. It also demands breaking of the barriers between Dev, Test, and Ops. Testing is a critical part of the handoff between development and IT operations. For DevOps to be successful it is mandatory that testing should be fully integrated into the software development and delivery
Some tips for successful DevOps testing:
- Involve development team during test design.
- Identify the critical test cases and prepare the test suite to test the functionality of the required build.
- All the environments required for testing need to be standardized and deployments have to be automated.
- Adopted test-first approaches such as test-driven development (TDD) and behavior-driven development (BDD).
- Keep the test execution cycles short and quick.
DevOps Testing Tools
In order to realize the desired business goals of DevOps, it is essential to have right tools to maintain the quality associated with the delivery chain. This calls for accurate and comprehensive testing. So it becomes very important to understand the existing testing process and identify the right testing tools.
Please read the full post – How DevOps Transformed Software Testing and know the testing tools that Moin Syed recommends.